Cooling Line Insulation/Expansion Tank

Systems, Types and Experiences

Cooling Line Insulation/Expansion Tank

Postby Goodman Alabama » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:53 am

1.I am using 1.75" steel exhaust tubing for my coolant lines. I have painted them with "ceramic" brake caliper paint, and I want to insulate the lines under the car and where they enter the trunk compartment. What are you guys using?
2. Is an expansion tank necessary? My build has bleed valves located on the thermostat housing, and the top of the return line in the trunk compartment. I have a I will be using 50/50 antifreeze/water mix, and when all is sorted I will change over to Evans waterless coolant. The anti-freeze and eventual change over to waterless coolant will be done with a vacuum type tool, so it *should* completely fill the system.
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Re: Cooling Line Insulation/Expansion Tank

Postby Rick Andersen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 am

Just curious if you have had over-heating problems in the past? Not sure about insulating the cooling lines, at least 360 degrees around them. Those lines will also act like a radiator as far as dissipating heat. It's OK to insulate them from the interior, but you still want them to radiate to lose some heat. Sounds like you are doing a lot of things right. How about the radiator and the fan. What are you doing there?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Goodman Alabama » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks Rick,
I have yet to even start the car, I am trying to address everything beforehand. I have thought back and forth regarding wrapping the pipes, but for now based on what you said I probably will not. As far as a cooling system, my current setup is an aluminum AFCO dual pass radiator with a 19" fully shrouded fan mounted vertically in a fully enclosed, ducted through the trunk floor setup.
My coolant tubes are 1 3/4", and I am running a Deadenbear electric pump to gain as much interior space as I can. The water pump and fan are digitally controlled by a Davies Craig unit that varies the speed of the water pump as needed, runs the fan when required, and I can set a cool down period for the fan to run after the engine is shutoff.
The engine is a Chevy crate motor, the 290 horse 350, with an Edelbrock intake with a Quick Fuel 750, HEI, and ceramic coated Crown headers. At some point the car will get new aluminum heads, and a slightly more aggressive cam, but nothing too radical.
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby Rick Andersen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:29 pm

I am running the Deadenbear water pump for the same reason. I am running a bit bigger radiator with dual fans and the coolant temp stays right at 160 degrees. Good luck finishing it all up. Let us know how things work out.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to COOLING