coolant loss

Systems, Types and Experiences

coolant loss

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 pm

I have been experimenting with some mods to my cooling system and trying out a few ideas. After a recent mod I took a short drive on a hot day to test it out. I had a complete loss of coolant when a hose blew off. It was the one going down from t-stat to under floor and came off down low, open pointing towards the ground. Needless to say, if a pump is moving say 30 gallons per minute and there are only about 3 gallons in the system, it didn't take long to empty the entire system - and I didn't notice when it blew out the bottom of the car. The temperature gauge measures the temp of the coolant flowing past it. No coolant, no change in temp reading - until the engine got really HOT. So I started looking for a loss of coolant sensor. Found a Longacre 40141 that is a kit with sensor and light for $25, I ordered one and will update after install, But, I think it might be possible to do it for zero bucks. If you still have the stock idiot lights in your dash and the stock oil pressure warning light sensor, I think it might work if the sensor is screwed into water jacket. Depends on what pressure the switch works. Anyway, I urge all to consider adding such a device. I am still not sure if my engine has been damaged or not, but a loss of coolant warning light might have stopped me from driving as far as I did with no coolant
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Re: coolant loss

Postby Rick Andersen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 am

I wired the original factory "idiot light" to a tee at the oil pressure sender, but haven't gotten around wiring it into the coolant sender. It's a bit more congested in that area. It is kind of hard to overlook a bright red light staring you in the face!
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: coolant loss

Postby Richard Miller » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 am

kit was an easy install ,, I put the sender into the plug at bottom center of block , down near the oil pan rail .. reused stock corvair wire running to rear for warning light ,, ignition switch on light comes on and stays on until engine warms and build a little pressure in cooling system ,, it will flicker on and off until then with changes in rpm as water pump builds some pressure ,, this might not happen with electric pump ,, switch operates at 3 psi , I tested it before install ,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Return to COOLING