C5 differentials in late model vairs

C5 differentials in late model vairs

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am

I have been noticing an increased number of conversations regarding the use of C5 differentials in late model V8 Vairs. A number of V8 Registry members have been using C5 differentials, including Ron Barbee http://www.v8registry.com/ron-barbees-v8-coupe.html , Chris Wills, Mike Levine http://www.v8registry.com/mike-levines-v8-coupe.html Mike McCrae http://www.v8registry.com/mike-mccrae.html and Paul Beck http://www.v8registry.com/pauls-becks-v8-coupe.html , among others. Any chance a few of you with C5 differential experience might comment on your experiences? Or could you explain what it takes for a good installation?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: C5 differentials in late model vairs

Postby pbeck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am

The C5 conversion offers quite a bit more strength than the Corvair differential and gives you the option of a lot more gear ratios (although it seems cheaper to buy another C5 diff. than to buy replacement ring and pinions.) I put mine together a year ago with parts off e-bay and an adapter from "canyonman". I cut down the
CV halfshafts and had a local machine shop install 1300 series slip yokes, sourced from a TH400 transmission, on the outer end to allow the axles to bolt up to the Corvair hubs. I fabricated a plate for the rear of the differential and used that to provide a mounting plate to hang the differential. I made side brackets mounted to the differential to install an adjustable rod with heim joints to set the camber. Big ERROR (actually #2). By only using 1 adjustable rod on each side that made the CV axle shafts the center pivot point. That caused the inner CV's balls to jam into the cups and caused severe overheating and eventually the bearings galled up and tried to lock up. The other issue has been discussed on other forums is that CV joints and u-joints don't work well together. The combination sets up a vibration that is there all the time. The "new " setup I'm currently working on will have two adjustable rods on each side and will use the C5 axles, shortened. I modified the lateral control arms (very similiar to John Clarks car) to accept the C5 hubs and disc brake setup. I'm currently finishing up the side mounting plates for the differential and then will start fabricating the support system in the car. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Pasco Barbee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am

I am pleased to respond to inquires about the conversion based upon the Mark Irons adapter using a Powerglide transmission. I may be able to attend the convention in July so attendees could have a first hand view. More to come in the future.
Ron Barbee
Ron Barbee
Pasco, Washington
Pasco Barbee

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 pm

im am very interested in the saganaw adaptor for the corvair as well as the glide adaptor I currently have 2 V8 vairs but i think i want a third hahahaha

Ken

I should be in Tacoma this Juy and i look forward to seeing the actual thing very cool indeed
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby v8vair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:45 pm

I am in the process of building a C5 diff mated to a Jerico racing 4 speed transmission. I am using a similer cv set up like Ron Barbies.
Ran in too some machining issues with resplining the Jerico main shaft ( The Machine Shop Screwed Up and wont make good on it) so that is putting me in the hold pattern for a few months. The Crown Set up has served me well but 500+ hp kills the Ring and Pinion after 2- 3 race weekends. I need 700 Hp to run up front so the Jerico/C5 is the way to go. Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Levine
v8vair

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Mike - Send me photos of the new setup when you can. I'd love to post them on the website for everyone to see.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Tom Z » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 am

--X2 on posting pics,especially showing the internals w/o 'rear' cover..Is the C5 pinion a "pass-thru"? If so,a Corvair Saginaw might be adapted to put the diff in the middle..not that the Saginaw would hold up to 700+hp
Tom Zimmerman
Rochester, N.Y.
Tom Z

Postby pbeck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Yes, the C5 is a "pass through" style pinion. Sorry, I didn't see this post till after I got mine all buttoned up again. If no one else comes up with a photo, I have a 2nd differential that I ran last year that I can pull the cover and take a photo. I did send some pics to Rick showing the plating I did to mount the differential and support the side camber rods.
Paul Beck
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Tom Z » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:12 am

I've looked at several diffs and 'other' transmissions, trying to find a 'bullet-proof' diff a trans would bolt to,with the diff case in the 'middle'; *If* the C5 pinion is hollow (or could be gun-drilled),and the C5 rear cover made into an adapter that would accept a tail-end of a beefier trans (like the Tremec..) a longer 'input' like the Corvair uses could go thru the (gun drilled) trans mainshaft,,sort of like a Hewland, but with separate diff and trans cases..
Tom Zimmerman
Rochester, N.Y.
Tom Z

Postby Santee Brown » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:43 pm

If you want to see pictures of the outside and adapter plate, check Mike McCrae's name. He posted pictures of the setup instead of a car. Click here - http://www.v8registry.com/mike-mccrae.html

Toby Brown
66 Corv-8 350FI
Toby Brown
Rust-Free Santee CA
Santee Brown

Next

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS