Crown disassembly

Crown disassembly

Postby ctcarguy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:56 pm

I finally got my Crown V8 on the road only to have the clutch go out today. 2 days ago the battery went dead! Today the clutch and ignition switch (Had to hot wire it. Good thing I remembered how...maybe I should not admit that.). I was hoping to wait until the winter to replace the clutch and do tranny work. I plan to replace the clutch (including hydraulic system that now uses a single master cylinder for both clutch and brake), pressure plate and throwout. While I am at it I have a transmission from a V8 Camaro to replace the stock trans to get better ratios.

Finally here is my question, any tips on how to remove the transaxle (new suspension bushings planned as well)? If the engine needs to come out as well, there is work I can do on it. I did not build this car so how it was done is an unknown to me. Am I correct that it makes sense to remove the engine out the passenger door and then the transaxle or can it be removed as a unit, I figure that the show season is probably over for the car this year considering the amount of work. I want to go front to back and check everything. Front discs may be an option to consider. I feel bad that the car has only been to 3 shows and each time something goes wrong. I want to make it reliable. :cry:
ctcarguy

Re: Crown disassembly

Postby Calgary Klassen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:50 pm

sounds like you have the new car blues
when I got my crown the clutch pedal broke in the first month and the diff broke last summer hahaha
all is fixable for sure the engine can come out the passenger door and the diff and trans drop out the bottom from what I can remember
The Camaro trans will not work in the Vair unless you have wills set up I use a wilwood clutch master on my car there is lots to do and im sure you will have her done for next year.
my advice is don t change too much or you may find your self in a bind with a long road out

best of luck on the repair

I am driving my crown to Spokane Wa this Friday June 19 1000 mile round trip :D I hope I don't have to post about my repair efforts when I get back

Ken
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby ctcarguy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Ken:
Thanks for the encouragement. I bought the car last year and worked on it all winter. All new wiring, new instruments, radiator, fans, electric water pump and more. I know the tank needs replacing as well. The best thing is to take it off the road and work on it a section at a time. I have other cars, a 65 Corsa Turbo and 56 T'bird so I can still enjoy the summer. I had to do this complete work over on a 71 GTO before the Hot Rod Power Tour. Drove 4400 miles without a single problem. I'm going to use the same approach. The GTO took a year.

The trans I have is a Saginaw just like the current one but better ratios. What is a "will" that I will need?

Enjoy your trip. I wish you a safe, problem free trip.

Larry
Simsbury, CT
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby v8vair » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Dont get discouraged. I can help with any issues. Ive seen them all. Just Call me 678-910-2829. Im in Georgia. So dont call me at 3 in the morning :) Mike
Mike Levine
v8vair

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Larry,

v8vair is Mike Levine. I would urge you to give him a call. If anybody can give you advice on V8 Vair gear ratios, it would be Mike - http://www.v8registry.com/mike-levines-v8-coupe.html
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS