Transaxle Removal

Transaxle Removal

Postby ctcarguy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 am

Hi All:
Can the transaxle on my Crown, be removed without taking the engine out? I need to replace the clutch and throwout bearing. I would like to remove the assembly like they do on stock Corvairs so I could rebuild the suspension.

Larry in CT
ctcarguy

Re: Transaxle Removal

Postby Rick Andersen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:33 pm

The transmission and differential can be removed leaving the engine in place. You'll need to support the back end of the engine and support the rear of the chassis outside of the suspension so the rear wheels are off the ground as you will be removing the side axles. pull it all out back and you'll have a shot at the clutch assembly. You may find it easier to pull the engine. It's a bit awkward to pull the clutch loose with the engine dangling, but it isn't quite as big of a job.

Whether you pull the engine or the transmission, one tricky spot is getting the transmission input shaft to line up with the clutch hub and the pilot bearing. When you buy the clutch disc, they normally include a dummy input shaft to align it all. You'll also need to make there the transmission is in gear when you install it or you'll never get it into the clutch disc.

You mentioned replacing the throwout bearing. If you are using a hydraulic throwout bearing, make sure you have it shimmed properly or you'll never get it to release properly.

Please feel free to give me a call if you need any other details. If anyone else reading this can provide better details than I have mentioned, please reply to this posting. That's what this forum is all about - make the other guy's experience easier than yours!
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby ctcarguy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Rick and all:
Well I am finally ready to pull the entire transaxle and rear suspension on my Crown. The plan is to leave the motor in and just remove the rear. Besides the clutch, I am going to take the 66 trans apart or install a Saginaw from a A Body GM 70 V8. I think the V8 unit has better gearing. I also plan to rebuild/improve the shifter. Very vague.

Besides the rear running gear, new brake lines, dual circuit master and hydraulic clutch, I want to use braided brake hoses but Clarks are very expensive. Other sources??
While it seems like there is a lot of time until spring, I found that just building the new dashboard took 3 months of spare time so I want to get started now.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:21 pm

I don't believe you'll find the gearing any different between a bic car Saginaw and a Corvair Saginaw. Some of the cases are reinforced and stronger on the big car transmissions. The big difference will be the side cover / shifter linkage. Please make sure that you understand that you won't be able to use anything that even resembles a Corvair shifter. You will probably end up with a Hurst shifter along with fabricated linkage and shifter mount.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Warren Holt » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Larry, What brand of throwout bearing are you planning on using? I'm using a McLeod and while it does function, the clutch pedal engages very close to the floor. I've gotten used to it but perhaps another manufacturer would provide a more normal feel.
Warren Holt
'65 Crown V8 Monza
Warren Holt

Postby ctcarguy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:18 pm

I have not chosen type or brand yet. I may even stick with just a slave cylinder type. A lot depends on what the condition of the shafts and pressure plate. A hydraulic bearing sounds great but a lever type allows for adjustment and replacement. Right now everything is in the planning stage. I am writing a to-do list with each task, parts needed and priority.
Larry
Connecticut

65 Crown
56 T'bird
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Phil Dally » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:44 pm

There are four different 1st gear ratios available in the big car Saginaw.

The 2nd and 3rd gear ratios are correspondingly different also.

All fourth gears in all Saginaw of this type are one to one...no overdrive.

The 3.11 first gear combo is what came in the Corvair Saginaw four speed.

You need to know which big car Saginaw you are installing.

The lower the number the better with the 3.51 absolutely a no.
Phil Dally

Postby ctcarguy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:48 pm

I have the 2 groove unit. I think it is a 2.84.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Phil Dally » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:37 pm

The cuts are not sequential...you have a 3.11 first gear by far the most common.

It will be exactly the same as the Corvair box Saginaw you are removing.

Have you considered building a close ratio Corvair box Saginaw?

one cut is 2.54
no cuts is 2.85
two cut is 3.11
three cut is 3.50
Phil Dally

Postby ctcarguy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:46 pm

My error. Had to go out and look at it again. No cuts = 2.85. The real question is how to set up the shifter. Can the side plate on the stock ''66 trans be used on the replacement? Would using a Hurst be better? I really hate how sloppy the stock shifter is. I assume with the Hurst there are long shifting rods which could be a pain to build. Is there such a thing as a cable type?

I am hoping to start dis-assembly this week.I need to drain the tank and such first. I am replacing it.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Next

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS