Pilot Bearing/Bushing

Pilot Bearing/Bushing

Postby ctcarguy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am

I am replacing my clutch on a 65 Corvette 327 in my V8Vair and decided to change the pilot bearing. Centerforce sent a roller type which I am not comfortable with based on my research. I went to NAPA to buy a bushing but the only one they showed had an OD of 1.09 whereas the one I removed is 1.059. There is no way the new one will fit. I prefer not to have the bushing turned down if possible. I also noted the new bushing had steel in it. Anyone know where to find the correct bushing? ID .574, OD 1.06, Depth .765 OR should I go with the roller type?

Thanks
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Pilot Bearing/Bushing

Postby Roger Boisjolie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 pm

I just got a bronze one from O Riley's for about 10 bucks. I brought my magnet with me to check that it wasn't magnetic. 72 Chevy truck is what I asked for. I developed my own way of getting the old one out. I send a tap into it and keep going till it bottoms out and then it will jack the old one out as you keep turning the tap.
Roger Boisjolie
Houston, Tx
'65 Crown V8 Corsa
Roger Boisjolie

Postby ctcarguy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Too bad there are no O'Reillys here. Is there a make and/or part number? Thanks
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby ctcarguy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Update: After ordering 3 different bushings that were spec'd 1.060 OD, I am still needing to have some machining done. First, I have identified why I have a problem. The engine came from a car with an automatic. Since Powerglide does not use a pilot bushing, there is usally nothing there. The crankshaft for a manual engine application uses a 1.09 OD. With that said I explored the Internet and found a Dorman bushing with a 1.060 OD per their technical sheet. When I received it, it has a 1.066 OD just like all of the others I tried. I am getting tired of the delay so I have decided to have the OD machined about .004. I really want to get the transmission back in so I can work on other things.

Also - I did some research and all of the bushings have steel in them. None of the suppliers show bronze in there books anymore.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby ctcarguy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am

Done. Had to have the pilot bearing slightly machined but fit beautifully. Put the transmission back in yesterday. not an easy job even with 2 people. Dang that thing is heavy. Next is bolting the cross member, shafts and other rear suspension.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS