C5 axle rework

C5 axle rework

Postby pbeck » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 am

OK, I'm getting pretty close to measuring the C5 halfshafts for correct length before sending them out for cutting and resplining. Are there any opinions out there about the best way to accomplish this ? I had planned on sending them to Moser (or taking them when I go to the Performance Workshop) , but is there another shop that would be recommended
especially after Mike's experience.
Paul Beck
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Re: C5 axle rework

Postby Tom Z » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:33 am

If you're going to use 1/2-shafts that aren't "fixed" like the stock Corvair (using TH400 slip yokes or CV joints),I think the only solution is to use upper links and let the 1/2 shafts 'float'..IIRC, LeVeque's did this for a LM Corvair..I can see this will be a problem for me, using the Porsche 944 or Renault NG9 T/A's with their CV axle setups..
Tom Zimmerman
Rochester, N.Y.
Tom Z

Postby pbeck » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm planning on using the C5 half shafts with the CV's in place, like you commented Tom, a floating axle. I'm using upper and lower adjustable sleeved shafts with hiem joints to set the distance and the camber. I'm just trying to come up with the best method to determine the correct length of the shaft. My thought was to get everything basically set to road ready, square it all up and then install the inner and outer CVs and measure the length to where the inner snap ring holds the inner race. Then it would just be simple to apply that dimension to the shafts to be cut and resplined. I talked to Moser and they didn't offer any suggestions but did mention to make sure the shaft diameter remained the same where the splines would be cut. That may require cutting one shaft on both ends but we'll see.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Tom Z » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:16 am

boy,pictures would REALLY help!!..try assembling the wheel bearing on a trailing arm,then measure from the outer CV 'stop' land to the inboard point; lay the Vette CV axle by itself,and try to measure the same points,,the CV boots should hold the joints in their middle-travel point on the shaft..Rather than cut/re-spline,see if Moser can "make" new shafts the proper length..I'm looking at putting s10 4x4 front wheel bearings on my trailing arms,with the front CV axles mated to the (whatever) diff ends..
Tom Zimmerman
Rochester, N.Y.
Tom Z

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS