Gear Oil

Gear Oil

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 pm

I know this has been covered in some of the other forums, but I am confused. What gear oil are you using in your v8 cars with the corvair differential and transmission?
Dennis Gauerke

Re: Gear Oil

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 am

I am leaning towards either Brad Penn 80w90 gl4 or Amsoil MTG 75w90 Any comments?
Dennis Gauerke

Re: Gear Oil

Postby Tony Martin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 pm

I was concerned about some of the info shown in other forums about appropriate oil for use in the differentials & transmissions of our cars. There appears to be a lot of opinions thrown around as fact about what oil is suitable for use with hypoid gears, the metal used in the synchros, and the material used in the seals.
I've heard a lot of good info on Royal Purple & contacted them about how suitable their products are for our use.

The following is my request with their response below.

"I and several others are building custom adapters to mate a Corvette C5 differential to a GM Saginaw 4 speed transmission. (For use in Corvairs with mid-engine mounted Chevy V8s). http://www.v8registry.com
Mainly because of the differences in full oil level between the two (of about 1.5") I've decided to install an oil seal between the 2 just to keep the oil from migrating to the differential & making it over full.
I'm trying to select the oil seal with the proper material, since several of the available materials are not suitable for use with "EP additives". I've noticed that your Max Gear Synthetic oil states that it "It is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper, etc.) and synchronizer safe." Does this mean this product would not attack the sealing materials used in typical oil seals?
Tony"

"Good morning Tony,
Thank you for contacting us!

The product we recommend for both Corvette C5 differentials and 60s or 70s vintage GM Saginaw 4 speed transmissions is Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle).
Max Gear: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-gear/

We are not aware of any seal or gasket that is also appropriate for use in any differential or any manual transmission application manufactured since the 1940s, that is not also going to be completely compatible with any Royal Purple synthetic oil, including Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle).

Max Gear is both a completely noncorrosive API-GL4 gear oil and an appropriate extreme pressure API-GL-5 gear oil.

Any seal that is appropriate for any OE style 60s and 70s vintage 4 speeds like Saginaw, Muncie, Borg Warner T10 and Super T10, Ford Top Loader and so on, will also be appropriate for use in your application while using our Max Gear product. Many of our customers have been successfully been using Max Gear 75W-90 in 60s vintage Saginaw manual transmissions for at least two decades now, with no issue what so ever.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple!
Best Regards,

James Morrissey
Sr. Automotive Technical Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p 281 354 8600 f 281 354 7600
e jmorrissey@royalpurple.com
One Royal Purple Lane Porter, TX 77365"
Tony Martin
Independence, Mo.
Tony Martin

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS