Shifter linkage

Shifter linkage

Postby Mannyd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 am

I’m having problems getting shifter to go in reverse position. I started with linkage and trans in neutral position then bolted it secure. Started it up and could not put it up in reverse. Going to disconnect, question is where should the trans lever and shifter be in their position before I screw it tight? Any other thoughts would be appreciated
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Re: Shifter linkage

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 am

this is from the Corv-8 instruction manual as re-produced by Clarks ,,probably worth buying a copy ,, I refer to it from time to time even tho my car isn't a crown car..

step 6 the shift tube is bolted to trans ,,
7. with trans in reverse position shift knob about 1inch to the left and 1 inch aft of the ignition key .. it then says to mark and drill to bolt crown shift tube to corvair shift tube

I have somewhat shortened the directions here,,but it looks like you start with trans in reverse and go from there ,, Rick Andersen recently replaced his shifter ,, maybe he will enlighten us with more detail
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Louisville Lanning » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:50 pm

Guys, I don't have the answer, but I talked with Rick Andersen today and he plans to talk further with Chuck Rust. Rick's not having much luck on his own either. He's hoping that Chuck can offer some additional suggestions.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Mannyd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 pm

That works for me since Rick will be visiting me while in Florida....
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Postby Mannyd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Disconnected everything and did it as instructed. It works. Should of read instructions. Going driving, thanks.
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 am

Got my shifter linkage all back in order. I was trying to install a "Quick Shift Kit" that I'd had sitting on a shelf for years. I finally figured out that it wasn't compatible with the shifter end of my shifter tube. There are two types - a cast piece and a machined steel piece. The quick shift kit must be designed for the cast end, cause it wouldn't fit my machined end.

The shifter is now all back together and doing fine - although I had to gently massage the Crown u-tube with a torch and a sledge hammer to clear the Crown motor mount tube. My car hs a very early Crown subframe with a round tube that goes from one motor mount to the other under the oil pan. Now all I have to do is diagnose why my hydraulic throwout bearing isn't moving when I press the clutch pedal. My guess would be that I have a bad slave cylinder since I just replaced the throwout bearing.

Rick
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS