Cryo gears ????

Cryo gears ????

Postby Calgary Klassen » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:52 pm

I am finally getting the parts I need to build another 4 spyder diff for my V8 vair ( thanks to Mike L )

As I am going to send my ring and pinion off to be cryogenically frozen and I am also going to send my spyder gears, side gears, cross shaft and blocks, and my diff input shaft

any thoughts ????

Ken

I copied this from the site

Metallurgical Excellence.

Cryogenic processing not only increases performance in high wear applications, but also provides a complete stress relief process to remove any residual stress that may have been built up in the heat treatment, manufacturing, or machining stages.

Controlled thermal cryogenic processing for extended wear and stress relief of metals offers many advantages:
•Reduces friction and increases wear resistance as well as reducing surface roughness
•Alters and refines the molecular grain structure
•Allows the machining of parts to tighter tolerances
•Increases dimensional stability on critical components
•Relieves stress fracturing
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Re: Cryo gears ????

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:38 pm

You are way beyond me on this one! It will be interesting what your final results are.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Calgary Klassen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Well Rick its well beyond me as well BUT in doing my reading I think its the way to go to do "anything" metal on the car from the entire engine, trans, diff, axels, rotors,

Ill let you know the cost and how long it takes The nice part is in Alberta we are the heart of the Oil Patch and all the cool stuff for manufacturing is right here :)

Ken

This is copied from the site

In a practical sense:

Automotives – high performance engines – when a motor is running, the block begins to build heat and starts to distort. But not only does the block distort, so do the affected high performance parts. The combination of the two throws the proper alignment out of balance, taking away from engine horsepower, torque and efficiency. Although the high performance parts were manufactured true and straight, they will not hold true when they are put under enough heat and stress to cause them to temporarily deform. All with existing built up residual stress; it is just a matter of putting too much torque on the parts before the “weakest link” will show through. Cryo the block and parts, and you remove the weakest link.

As mentioned in the wear solutions section of the Cryotron website, contrary to popular belief, it is the tempering that sets the hardness value of metals, so if done correctly, a cryogenics process will never change the hardness value. This is one of the reasons why “cryogenic tempering” is not a correct statement. There is no need to worry about brittleness; as proven in cryogenics research, your high performance parts will actually become LESS brittle after treatment. The reverse does not apply. In a cryogenic stress relief, there is no such thing as cryo hardening.

So lets talk numbers, what exactly can you expect?

There are many factors that can influence the outcome of a cryogenics process, such as composition of the metal, whether or not a heat treatment was performed on the part, manufacturing, machining, etc. But virtually all power train and engine parts respond to cryogenic treatment. Treated piston rings will seat better against treated cylinder walls reducing blow-by and increasing engine horsepower. High performance engine blocks will not distort when subjected to heat and vibration. Pistons and cylinder heads stand up to detonation better. Suspension springs, torsion bars, and sway bars show longer life and retain a better consistency after cryogenics process. Camshafts, bearings, timing gears, valves and valve springs, timing chains, gears, axles, ring and pinion, roller bearings, CV joints, and clutches……

The Deep Cryogenic Treatment process is also highly known for treating brake rotors, with life expectancies of at least twice as long!

Cryogenics research has shown that high performance engine tests have shown 10 times less wear after cryo!

Fuel efficiency, engine horsepower and torque are all increased with engine cryo treatments.

Less heat, less friction, increased tensile strength throughout the engine and power train, are all attributes of cryogenic technology.

Aluminum engine block will see less fatigue and cracking due to heat and over stressing.

Bottom Line:

Professional racers, amateur competitors, and high performance enthusiasts have found that cryogenic tempering saves money, reduces mechanical time, and gives them a substantial competitive edge. From an engine horsepower and torque gain of up to 10% to a reduction on internal friction and stresses - not just a surface treatment, but thorough release of stress - on your high performance engine and parts that can make them last 50% to 5 times longer! As the cost of quality parts continues to escalate, you will want them parts to perform and last as they were built to. The best way to protect your investment is to install the best product you can obtain for your dollar; cryogenics processing beats the competition, hands down.
69 GS 400 Convert
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
Calgary Klassen

Postby Calgary Klassen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:26 pm

ill be cryo treating all the parts of my diff in January

ill post on the cost and keep updated on the results form every thing I have read it enhances the heat treating that's already been done and adds to wear resistance

Ill beat up on the first one a little to see how it survives
69 GS 400 Convert
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
Calgary Klassen

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS