Corvette 275/40-18 Wheel/Tire Answer-Update

Corvette 275/40-18 Wheel/Tire Answer-Update

Postby Rick Andersen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:47 pm

lanning14@aol.com
7:11 AM (4 hours ago)

I thought that most of you would find this note from Bob Depalo of interest as some of you start your own C5 builds.

Bob Depalo now has Mark Allen's car in his shop and is starting to gather parts and information before he officially starts preparing Mark's car to accept a modified C5 differential mated to a BC Saginaw 4-speed. The plan is to use the Dobbertin suspension rather than a modified C5 suspension. Bob plans to eventually design his own subframe for the rear, but is using the Dobbertin component at Mark Allen's direction.

The question about fitting the C5 Corvette 275/40-18 wheels/tires in the Corvair rear wheel tubs has been answered successfully thanks to several replies from members. At the same time I acknowledge that Phil West used these same wheels with no problem some time ago.

As work progresses, I'll keep you updated.

John, Pres

To: lanning14@aol.com
Sent: 6/2/2018 8:31:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: Re: Corvette 275/40-18 Wheel/Tire Answer

Hello John

Yesterday I took my Jaguar tire, a 255-40-18 and put it into Mark's rear wheel tub.
As expected, it does fit well.
In the build of Mark's car we will put to bed many questions left dangling without answer.
Yesterday I also disassembled the C5 differential, I am exploring possibilities for a seal between the diff and trans.
I see no reason why this cannot be done, I want to get into the adapter build soon so I'll get answers.
First on Marks car is to purchase the C5 wheels and tires, Mark has none.
The reason is that I have to have the wheels on hand to figure out the tire/wheel offset to work into computing the required hub to hub distance of the rear and front suspension so it all fits within the stock body.
It is still Mark's request to use Rick Doberton's suspension kit for the C5 and when I spoke to Rick about the build he is willing to modify his kit to my hub to hub dimensions.
Once I have the dimensions for Rick I can move into the trans/diff adapter

I'll telephone today to catch up.
Once again, thanks for all,
Bob.

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:00 PM, "lanning14@aol.com" <lanning14@aol.com> wrote:

Bob and C5 Group,

Received this note from Tony Maxson. He confirms that Corvette 275/40-18 wheels/tires will fit the rear wheel tubs on the Corvair with very little modification. That should be good news for the planned conversion of Mark Allen's car.

This is the second confirmation

John

Sent: 5/31/2018 5:19:56 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: RE: V-8 Registry-May 2018 Newsletter

Hi John-

Thanks for your note, I am not sure about attending the convention yet this year but I have it “penciled” in right now. I will be firming up plans by June 15th and will let you know for sure. The most aggravating thing is deciding which Corvair to bring to the convention, the Blue V8 or the Black Corsa Turbo I just finished (picture attached). I will probably bring the V8.

I do have some insight on the 275-40-18 tires in a rear late model since I run them in the blue car. If you are at stock ride height, there is not much to do other than get the offset correct and probably cut out the shock mount since its very close on the inside sidewall-that is not a bunch of work to remove but you have to relocate the shock.

There is also an inside “lip” where the engine firewall sheet metal attaches to wheel tub at the top rear of the fenderwell that has to be cut and trimmed if you want to lower the car at all. Again, it is not as much work as a mini tub or similar in a Camaro or Nova. Not really a difficult job to do, the late Corvair already has very wide tubs for an early car.

Take care- Talk to you soon.

Tony Maxson

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:50 PM
Subject: V-8 Registry-May 2018 Newsletter

Registry Members,
As we approach the end of May, it's time to start thinking about the CORSA convention scheduled for July 23 28 in Pittsburgh, PA. That's less than two months away. It was previously mentioned that this convention may include more Registry members than past conventions due to the location. If you are planning to attend, that's great. If you haven't given the convention much thought, we encourage you to give it prime consideration. The Registry is hosting a party at John Black's home on Wednesday, July 25th starting at 4:00 PM. We have planned a catered meal at no charge to members and their spouses. You may bring friends, but we will charge $15.00 per guest. Drinks, including beer, will be provided. The party begins with a Driving Tour from John Black's home. We invite you to drive your conversions on this 1 hour scenic and historic drive near Pittsburgh. The Driving Tour will end at John's home. Once there, dinner will be served. After dinner we will hold our V-8 Registry Annual Meeting. The meeting will be shorter than usual. After the meeting, door prizes will awarded. We have shirts, Clark's gift certificates, Registry Magnetic Signs, and other prizes. In order to plan for this event, we need your help. Once you know for sure that you are attending the party I encourage members to either call or email me. We can't properly plan for a catered meal without knowing who's coming. Please send your RSVP if you plan to attend. If we don't hear from you, we will conclude that you are not attending. More details will be provided in future updates.

Attached are directions to John & Claudia Black's home. The address is 126 Rivercrest Drive; Moon Township, PA 15108. That's about 15 minutes from the hotel.

The Trevor Award will be awarded during the annual meeting. This award is presented to the owner of the car with the most original Crown features. A committee will judge the eligible Crown conversions. For the past two years, Louis Pinard has taken home the perpetual trophy. Competition this year may make this a little more difficult.

The autocross will be held Friday, July 27th. All members attending with their conversions are encouraged to sign up for the autocross. We are expecting as many as 12 conversions at the convention this year. That's probably a record. To make the autocross more interesting and competitive, the Registry is offering some cash awards. For the Fastest Time of Day (FTD) in the V-8 class, we are offering $100 cash to the winner. If a V-8 conversion wins the FTD for the overall event, another $100 cash award will be offered. Potentially the owner of a V-8 conversion could win $200. Does this offer create a little more incentive to sign up for the autocross?

QUESTION NO. 1: Does anyone in our V-8 Registry Chapter own a conversion that includes a V-8 kit supplied by Art Silva in the mid to late 60's? Art's kits included a cast aluminum belhousing and the engines were located in the rear. If you own such a car, send me a note. There's a CORSA member interested in writing an article. A number of members have rear V-8's, but have a custom setups. I'm looking for those that include an actual Silva kit.

QUESTION NO. 2: Does anyone have any experience with stuffing Corvette 275/40-18 tires/wheels up in the rear wheel tubs of a late model Corvair with NO modifications? Will they fit? The Registry has a 'work group' that's exploring what it will take to install a C5 Corvette differential/BC Saginaw 4-speed with a modified C5 rear suspension under a Corvair. Two of our members are working on a kit to make this happen. More than one member has already made this combination happen, but not in kit form. Those involved are documenting their work on a CAD program. More details will follow as work proceeds on a donor car.

I look forward to hearing from those with plans to attend the convention and the Registry party. Drive fast, but safe.

John, Pres
502-649-3290 (KY)
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS