CV Joint Problem At The Convention

CV Joint Problem At The Convention

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:44 pm

I had an inner cv fail driving back to the hotel after the meeting at John Black's. Never did figure out why. The inner rezpa (?) joint lost all the balls thru a tear in the boot I guess. The outer cage was still in place. I was stuck on the side of I 376 for two hours waiting on a rollback from Hagerty. Tore it down Wed. in the parking lot and ended up getting with John Black and building a "used replacement" from his parts box. Got it back together well enough to drive to and participate in the AutoX so must have done something right. Our local chapter has a show next Monday at the State Fair so will see if it lives. I will leave the truck hooked up to the trailer.

Paul Beck
V8 Registry Treasurer
Pearl, Illinois
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: CV Joint Problem At The Convention

Postby Rick Andersen » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 pm

I had noticed that the right rear wheel was setting a little further inside the fender than the left side. I also had more of a problem getting the camber and toe set on the right side. To add to everything else, this was the axle that came apart in Pittsburgh. I did some plumb bob measuring and tried to extend the right wheel out far enough to match the left with the adjustable links mounting it to the differential. Ended up needing almost a full inch and didn't have that much movement available in the inner cv. It would have failed just like it did at the Convention. Bought a used axle via eBay and sent the bare shaft to Moser to be shortened and re-splined. Ended up going 1" longer. Probably finish putting it back together tomorrow morning and try to get it installed. An awful lot of work for just an inch...................

Paul Beck
V8 Registry Treasurer
Pearl, Illinois
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby 66VairV8 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Rick, just curious; what did Moser charge to shorten and resplined. I have a set that needs to shorten and splined. Trying to find someone one the west coast. Shipping is pricey.
Jeff
Jeff Rand
Wildomar, Ca
'66 Crown Monza
'65 Corsa
'65 Corsa Convertible
'68 Monza Convertible 140 4 speed
'87 Buick GN
66VairV8

Postby pbeck » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Jeff,
Moser charged me $118.00. That included cutting the clean shaft to length, resplining (you do have to send the inner race that splines on the shaft), cutting a new snap ring groove and return shipping. It was less than a week turn around. I've used them before and was pleased with their work. I've looked at a couple of other shops and they are very similiar in cost.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby 66VairV8 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks Paul,
I guess shipping from So. Ca. could be costly.
Jeff
Jeff Rand
Wildomar, Ca
'66 Crown Monza
'65 Corsa
'65 Corsa Convertible
'68 Monza Convertible 140 4 speed
'87 Buick GN
66VairV8

Postby pbeck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Jeff,
Bob Depalo gave me another possibility that I decided not to use because of the same reason, distance to ship.
It is Dutchman Motorsports
503-257-6604
1250 East Piper Court
Meridian, ID
talk to Travis Carleton.

I looked at their site and their pricing was pretty much in line with Moser. Bob has used them and was pleased with their work and he's sort of OCD (LOL)
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS