PG C5 SETUP?

PG C5 SETUP?

Postby Randolph Galek » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 pm

I’d really like to hear thoughts on the PG C5 setup.

I’ve read all I can on it but I’d like to hear if people who really use their cars still think it was the right move.

I currently have a LS /Corvair Sag /Corvair diff car. I really like the car but it would definitely benefit from a different rear diff ratio (currently 3.55) and or close ratio trans. I’m wondering if a PG / C5 setup would be a better long term modification.

I’m very interested in the potential of the Dobbertin setup but not sure how soon any will actually be completed.
I have a lot of spare performance parts (QS box, NOS QS factory arms, Koni and Bilstein shocks etc etc) but need to decide on a complete modification plan to determine if I actually need them.

Please note my car modification will be a project for this winter but I want to obtain all the parts well in advance.

Does anyone have the adapter parts to build a PG / C5 for sale?

What would be a reasonable estimate ?

Thanks
Chet
Chet Galek
Randolph, New Jersey
Randolph Galek

Re: PG C5 SETUP?

Postby pbeck » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Chet,
I can't offer much information on the availability of adapters. I think there are 2 or 3 Registry members that either have them available or can build one for you. I'm pretty sure Bob Depalo in Arkansas can machine one, also Archibald Evans in California and Mark Irons in Michigan (I'm using his).
I don't regret making the switch to the C5. I had been using the glide with Clark's adapter to the Corvair diff., so it wasn't a huge step. The one error I made is not centering the engine and driveline, especially when I switched to LS power. That means I have different length halfshafts. I adapted the Corvette hubs along with the rear disc brake set up to the Vair lateral arms. I'm still having an issue getting my rear coil over shocks set correctly.
The only thing I would hope for is an automatic transmission with more than 2 forward ranges. Really needs another gear. I've got a glide from a shop that builds alot of transmissions for the drag strip. The builder used hardened input and output shafts and added an extra plate in the forward and reverse clutch packs. Pretty much guarenteed it to any horsepower level I wanted to put in the car.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS