Jim Acker's Porsche 930 Shift Linkage.

Jim Acker's Porsche 930 Shift Linkage.

Postby Rick Andersen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 pm

The vast majority of V8 Registry cars with small block Chevy engines run through the traditional Crown transmission / differential setup. Jim Acker has gone the non traditional 930 Porsche route. I was curious what kind of hoops Jim had to jump through besides just bolting it up and driving away. What kind of adapters and other parts are needed to install the 930 transaxle. What did you use for axles and control arms. If you had it all to do over again, would you stick with the 930 transaxle or would you consider a C5 differential with a big car Saginaw or some other transmission?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: Jim Acker's Porsche 930 Shift Linkage.

Postby Seattle Acker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

The short story is expensive. A rebuilt 930 with the R&P flipped for mid-engine runs a solid $6K and up. Still, you get 9" from bell housing face to center of drive flange. It holds up well and all reasonable alternatives are as expensive or more. The adaptor is easily sourced with flywheel, clutch set-up and starter from Kennedy Engineering in SoCal. So, it just boils down to what you want. I wanted leg room and reliability, so I built the whole car around that transaxle. By far the most expensive part on my build. That may change this year though. I just bought a Northstar LH2 engine with variable valve timing :-)
Seattle Acker

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Sounds like a tremendous setup. although I had no idea it was that expensive. If you go to the Northstar, what would you use for the transaxle?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Hepsheba » Thu May 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi Jim, My name is Bill Peterson and I'm new to the registry. I have a 930 transaxle but rather than reverse the ring and pinion, the whole unit is inverted. I used the Kennedy adapter and clutch setup. The one issue that I have not resolved is excessive pedal pressure. I have the original pedal assembly reinforced to the firewall and master cylinder so no flexing. The combinations of master and slave produce either a very hard pedal or too little travel to release the clutch. Have you had this issue and found a solution? Thanks
Bill Peterson
Henderson Nevada
Hepsheba

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS