Transmission Upgrade

Transmission Upgrade

Postby ctcarguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:24 pm

My 65 Crown V8 (327) has a stock Saginaw 4 speed and the first gear is just too low plus the sycros don't feel right and the shifter is so vague that it is embarrassing at stop signs. I usually can find 2nd and launch with it but it is a tad too fast. I know GM used a lower ratio first gear in the full size cars (1 ring cut in the input shaft I think). Will a 1981 Saginaw from a Firebird fit in my Vair? Can the internals be changed in my current trans?

Thanks
Larry

1965 Corsa Crown
1965 Corsa Turbo
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Transmission Upgrade

Postby Cumming Levine » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:08 am

What your looking for is a early V8 big car gear set,67,68 Camaro,Chevelle,etc.The Ratio is 2.54,1.80,1.44,1.00 where the 6s came with the 3.11,2.20,1.47,1.00.
The shifter must need attention because when right, there pretty darn good.Must need to be rebushed.
The later gear sets wont fit in the Corvair Case because they use a larger reverse gear and that puts the reverse gear on the cluster in a different location.
I just sold a Crown gear box with the ratio you desire. I can see about gathering up another gear set if interested,but it may take a while.I have an input gear but will need to find the cluster and 3rd gear. Mike
Mike Levine
Cumming Levine

Postby ctcarguy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Mike:

No rush. I have a ton of items (60) to do on my list and the transmission should come up in March.
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby TheRealHip » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:32 pm

I just got a set of gears on ebay for $400
TheRealHip

Postby ctcarguy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:41 pm

I found a likely candidate. It is from a 1964 GTO with an assembly code of April 1965. The input shaft has no grooves so it should be a 2.xx first gear which is what I want. What modifications do I need to do for the shifter? Will the side plate from my current "65 Saginaw interchange of do I have to consider some sort of cable shifter? Is there anything particular that I should check before buying it? The case is painted red (could be primer) and clean. Asking is $350 but its a good 3 hour trip each way to get it. I tried some vintage transmission shops and they all told me that it is very hard to find a Saginaw from a V8 car.

Project update: Decided to upgrade the entire electrical system with modern fuse block plus an extra circuit from the battery to relays for the radiator fan, electric water pump, electric fuel pump and engine compartment fans. Basically upgrading fuel, cooling and electrical systems. I made the first iteration of a gadget to color stripe wires and plan to make improvements to make the stripes better. This way the wiring should match the schematics.

Even though it is snowing like crazy here, it seems the time to complete everything before my goal of April 1 is going to be a challenge. Then again, I have a 65 Corsa Turbo I can drive for awhile.

Larry
Simsbury, CT
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS