66 FS in NH

Check This Category For Cars That Are For Sale And Cars That Are Wanted.

66 FS in NH

Postby 66VairV8 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Jeff Rand
Wildomar, Ca
'66 Crown Monza
'65 Corsa
'65 Corsa Convertible
'68 Monza Convertible 140 4 speed
'87 Buick GN
66VairV8

Re: 66 FS in NH

Postby Joe Acquisto » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 pm

I've not seen this car close up. It was posted a few months back, when I called the listed person. Asked a few questions and got told it was her bosses car, he had just bought it and she knew nothing about it. I am dim on what followed exactly but I know I never got any further info or an address, then it dropped off CL, till now. I'm not all that interested in it as it looks a rat.
Joe Acquisto

Postby Jeff Corton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 am

Went to look at the car this morning. Seller was friendly, owns a rigging company and is seeking to move lower priority projects along. Drafting my notes now and will post again later today or tomorrow (31MAR18/1APR18).
Jeff C.
New Hampshire
Jeff Corton

Postby Jeff Corton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am

Good:
Exhaust looks well done
Subframe is substantial material, solid
Roll cage is well done, save driver's side crossbar being cut out
Beefy half shafts
Cooling system looks sufficient (hard tellin' not knowin', though)

Bad:
-Rust behind front wheels
-Rust in front of rear wheel, right side
-Surface rust in front trunk area
-Electrics tired (high beam right side, dim headlight left, right rear tail lights inop)
-Interior is ... not. Headliner shot, carpets need replaced, etc.
-Small aluminum(?) patch panel in driver's side floor pan

Unknowns:
-Engine is stated to have a stuck float valve in the carb
-Weak battery, wouldn't turn over the engine

Other notes:
4 wheel drum brakes
Kennedy conversion
Roll cage crossmember on driver's side cut for easier access
Metal cuts aren't overly clean; looks like it might've been done with a welder versus grinder

It's ratty. The subframe, roll cage, and driveline look substantial, so core materials had some consideration and it might've been competent when initially complete. The rest looks like it's just there to support the running gear. Definitely a secondary priority in the build, or left to receive attention later on (which hasn't come yet).

Definitely has needs. Novice opinion: on the brink of not being restorable; at a minimum, a very serious project .
Seller is -not- set on $5,500.
Jeff C.
New Hampshire
Jeff Corton

Postby Jeff Corton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Addendum: trunk cooling system is shrouded and has an electric fan.
Jeff C.
New Hampshire
Jeff Corton

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Remember seeing another conversion similar to this several years ago. The owner thought he had a rare V-8 Corvair and was asking over $5000. After viewing it with another member, I suggested to the owner that he should consider stripping out the conversion parts and selling them separately because the car was not worth restoring. About 6 months ago he called and said he took my suggestion. The Crown parts are advertised here on the Forum in the 'Parts' section.

Some just ain't worth restoring. Find a good body first. Mechanical parts will always be around somewhere. There's an old saying, " BUY THE BEST AND YOU'LL ALWAYS BE HAPPY WITH IT".
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:47 pm

This car in NH was sold to our newest member John Palladini who lives in Baden, PA about 35 minutes from Pittsburgh. It has some rust, but once he did a little work on the engine it came to life and John's pretty excited about his buy.

Several other members looked at this car and ruled it out because the engine wasn't running and the rusty floor plans were viewed unfavorably. I conclude that one person' s view or opinion of a car doesn't always match yours or mine. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Best wishes to John with his new acquisition and a warm welcome to the V-8 Registry.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby jsailp77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, this is John. I bought this car. Probably more work than I figured,but things are moving forward. Big thing is shifter and linkage. You can follow the progress on this car at my youtube page for interested parties. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOkKVLI3hKXxILiVZgcO3w?view_as=subscriber
So I have seen some pictures of shifter and linkage using a B & M shifter and Crown linkage. If anyone can give some help in this area I will be indebted to you. Thanks John
John Palladini
Baden, Pa.
'66 Mid Engine Corsa
jsailp77

Return to CARS FOR SALE & CARS THAT ARE WANTED