Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Postby Luke Pitts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:13 pm

I am wanting to purchase or figure out how to make a cowl hood(aka trunk) for a 1967 Corvair. My car is a tube chassis Corvair with the engine in the front which I know is technically the trunk in a Corvair. The current hood works perfect I just want to lighten it up by substituting the steel hood for a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. The reason for making it lighter is my wife and I just had our first this past October and she might not be able to help me remove the hood on all race weekends this summer so if I could make it easier to remove by myself that would be awesome. I love how many people come up to me and complimenting or asking questions about the car and love pointing out how it is a Corvair. If anyone has any places to look to find one or maybe suggestions on hood mounts(my firewall is obviously pushed back but can try and fabricate something) I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!
Luke Pitts

Re: Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:28 am

I can't offer you a supplier, but Corvair luggage and deck lids have been fabricated in fiberglass for sure by many of those that race. Send a note to Bob Coffin. He can probably point you in the right direction.

If you don't mind paying the price, you should be able to go online and find a company that can use your steel trunk lid as a template and make you one in carbon fiber with nice air intake.

The black Corsa coupe that Mark Allen owns and races has all fiberglass panels, but he doesn't know where the previous owner had them made. If I hear of a source, I'll contact you. I'd start with a Google search of the Internet.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Re: Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 am

John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning