Conversion parts for sale at convention

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

Conversion parts for sale at convention

Postby Mannyd » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Since I'm just getting into my conversion and attending my first convention I have to ask questions to you guys. Are there vendors selling rebuilt 4 spider trans axles ? If so I'll bring mine for exchange if required . Also looking to buy all parts for the V-8 to trans merge. This is the biggest challenge I'll have in this project, and attending this convention will help me know the details that I might have overlooked. And there's no room for mistakes in this area. So what can I expect to be able to purchase based on your past experiences at past conventions? You can call me if you like if you have questions for me.Thanks guys and looking forward to meeting all.
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Re: Conversion parts for sale at convention

Postby Calgary Klassen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:42 pm

what do you have and where are you in the build its best to buy a complete car already done as there is limited parts out there I know it took me 40 years to get my first one and now I have two. I tried many times to put one together from bits and parts NOT a good plan unless you have very seep pockets and a LOT of time

Best of luck

Ken

BTW of the 4 V8 Vairs in Calgary mine is the only one that runs and drives ALL the time and when it breaks I fix it quickly and back on the road because I bought a complete car
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby Mannyd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 am

Ken, I have almost everything except for beefed up trans , Hydrolic clutch, flywheel , bell housing. All except trans can be brought from a catalog. BUT lots of sweat equity has to happen with sheet metal. This other stuff is standard in a hot rod build on an old unrestored car such as replacing all rubber parts, wiring , plumbing , ect...
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:01 am

There is a special main shaft and input for the trans as well as an adaptor you require to mate to the V8. the diff should be up graded to 4 spider, Mile Levine ( V8vair ) or Dwayne Cartwright both have them at times I have one of each as well as an original crown 4 spider ( I have 3 spare 4 spider diff's ) if you don't have the crown trans adaptor and main shaft you cant build the crown style V8 vair No parts are currently available from vendors. I admire your ability to attempt a scratch build there are many on this site who can give you great advice, I am only one small part of the community but I have two V8's one Crown and 1 Kelmark and I have broken the crown a few times and I know how hard it is to find parts for her that's why I have many spares I even have a spare crown trans. I am a new owner of the cars 3 years or so but have been researching them for 40+ years and know just a little

good luck with your project

you may be able to get a copy of the Crown instructions from some one on here who is closer to you if not I may be able to scan a copy of mine
69 GS 400 Convert
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
Calgary Klassen

Postby Mannyd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Ken, I have a trans with both crown shafts that was in the conversion kit I purchased. Just need to have it rebuilt with the upgraded spider gears. The hunting is what makes this special. What's the odds of me posting an ad on craigslist looking for a Crown kit and someone in North Carolina responding. He even gave me the original crown templates and instructions. Perfect condition. You are right in having spare tranny parts. Last thing I want is a car I'm afraid to drive. I only wish I knew about the Corvate forty years ago. I only discovered them four months ago....
Manny DeCastro
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mannyd

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Well you will love it I sure do!!!!! in fact i'm taking mine on a 900 mi road trip next weekend and I have an exposed engine bay but I have spent a ton of time controlling the heat and sound as of now I can listen to my blue tooth speaker at speed. Mike Levine in Atlanta can get you a 4 spider diff and he's the best one to ask advice from for your crown build as he raced his

Ken

post some pictures of your build

and my past comments were before i knew how much of a crown car you had as your post was not as clear

keep on the board and ask lots of questions everyone has an opinion and you may or may not agree but every one has good info
My knowledge comes from my recent purchase and extensive rebuild of my crown car and reconfiguring it to a more modern but not overly complicated version

As you see by my signature I have a few toys hahaha

ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69 GS 400 Convert
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
Calgary Klassen

Return to PARTS FOR SALE & PARTS THAT ARE WANTED