Trying To Find Dad's Camaro Engine

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

Trying To Find Dad's Camaro Engine

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:31 am

This post is on behalf of V8 Registry member Ed Banas.

We are from Lorain Ohio and my Father owns a 1967 Camaro. Back in the late 60's or early 70's the original engine was removed from his Camaro and replaced with a 1964 327 Vette engine. The original engine was then transplanted into a Corvair. It would be casting # 389257 or 3892657 - 2 bolt main, small journal, date code before April 1967.

By contacting the Corvair v8 Registry we were hoping someone would know the Corvair and we could retrieve the engine.

The Camaro was purchased new in 1967 at Sharpnack Chevy in Ohio by a Mr Hageman. Mr Hageman was an avid boat and car racing enthusiast and actually raced the Camaro in a road race club that he belonged to in Ohio. We were told that he added the 327 for a little more gettie up on the race course and that a friend of his ended up with the engine out of the Camaro to build his Corvair. Our understanding is that the Corvair owner was also a member of the car club and the Corvair was a rocket ship back in the day. (so we assume the car was finished). Unfortunately Mr Hageman died in a boat crash in the 70's and we bought the car from a family friend years later. I spotted the car in a garage next to my friends house when I was 14. Like anyone else that age "dreaming big'' I asked the then current owner Dave Williams) if he would sell me the car. His response was "I would sell it but not to you!" So My father bought the car in 1981 and has owned it since. Dave Williams was good friends with Mr Hageman and bought the car from his wife after he passed away. My father has told me that he seems to think someone named Dean Walker who is a Corvair V8 enthusiast was some how involved with building the Corvair that the engine was placed in. We believe Mr Walker lives in Northern Ohio as well.

My Father is 74 and would like to find the engine after having the car all this time. I know it's a stretch but I figured it was worth a shot. Side note: The car has a build date of the month and year I was born, always thought that was pretty cool!

Thanks again

Ed
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: Trying To Find Dad's Camaro Engine

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Ed's email address is - eddie_b_jr@yahoo.com
Rick Andersen