WTB: Reverse ring & pinion for Kelmark

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

WTB: Reverse ring & pinion for Kelmark

Postby Michael Johnson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Also looking for instructions/drawings that came with the kit.
'65 Kelmark Monza
Michael Johnson

Re: WTB: Reverse ring & pinion for Kelmark

Postby johnj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 am

I have a reverse ring and pinion set and a HD input shaft. Both new never installed. Also a case that is modified to take the reverse rotation setup, and a sbc reverse rotation cam and timing gear set. I am switching from a kelmark setup to jerico/c5 diff so all of the kelmark parts will be available once removed but it will be a while, I want to keep the car together until I have the new setup ready to swap in.
John Albera
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
johnj

Postby John Edwards » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 pm

My name is John and I’m new to Corvair club. I just purchased a 66 Corvair with the Kelmark conversion. You said in your post that the Chevy engine ran in reverse rotation. Did I catch that right. Also you mentioned C5 conversion is there any place I could get some information on this conversion? I just pulled the engine out of my car and was going to install a 350. I would much rather go with a new set up if possible.I’ve read about people doing this but have been able to find any pictures or technical information.
John Edwards
Beaverton, Oregon
John Edwards

Postby johnj » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

The original kelmark setup has the engine running in the standard ( for a SBC, and most others) rotation. This turns the corvair trans and ring and pinion in the opposite way it was intended to run. By running the ring and pinion backwards you are putting the power to the "coast" side of the gears, shortens the life as they were never intended to run this way full time under power. The reverse rotation gear set was designed to fix the problem, but the engine then has to turn the opposite way. Most kelmark conversions ran the engine in the standard rotation, mine did, never made the swap to the reverse R&P and reversed rotation engine setup. A lot of guys pump extra oil to the stock ring and pinion and say they live. Kelmark setup gives you a lot more room in the car, if I didn't plan on a lot of HP I would not change mine, gives plenty of seat and leg room. There is a lot of info here on the c5 diff setups, auto and manual.
John Albera
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
johnj

Postby s7s » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 am

Do you still have the reverse cut gears and the HD input shaft? I am very interested.
Sean Sutorius
Elyria, Ohio
s7s

Postby johnj » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 am

Yes I do still have the reverse gear set, HD input and modified case.
John Albera
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
johnj

Postby s7s » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Been a while since we’ve spoken, is this reverse ring and pinion still available?
Also interested in the HD input shaft.
If you still have these parts email the pricing at s7sean@gmail.com.
Thank you,
Sean
Sean Sutorius
Elyria, Ohio
s7s

Return to PARTS FOR SALE & PARTS THAT ARE WANTED