Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Postby Luke Pitts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:13 pm

I am wanting to purchase or figure out how to make a cowl hood(aka trunk) for a 1967 Corvair. My car is a tube chassis Corvair with the engine in the front which I know is technically the trunk in a Corvair. The current hood works perfect I just want to lighten it up by substituting the steel hood for a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. The reason for making it lighter is my wife and I just had our first this past October and she might not be able to help me remove the hood on all race weekends this summer so if I could make it easier to remove by myself that would be awesome. I love how many people come up to me and complimenting or asking questions about the car and love pointing out how it is a Corvair. If anyone has any places to look to find one or maybe suggestions on hood mounts(my firewall is obviously pushed back but can try and fabricate something) I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!
Luke Pitts

Re: Cowl Hood/trunk wanted

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:28 am

I can't offer you a supplier, but Corvair luggage and deck lids have been fabricated in fiberglass for sure by many of those that race. Send a note to Bob Coffin. He can probably point you in the right direction.

If you don't mind paying the price, you should be able to go online and find a company that can use your steel trunk lid as a template and make you one in carbon fiber with nice air intake.

The black Corsa coupe that Mark Allen owns and races has all fiberglass panels, but he doesn't know where the previous owner had them made. If I hear of a source, I'll contact you. I'd start with a Google search of the Internet.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 am

John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Sun May 31, 2020 11:00 am

For anyone interested in the Stinger deck lid, and in fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods, please see the correspondence I received from Jeff Moore earlier this week:

Stinger deck lid (outer skin only, attach with hood pins) Fiberglass (7-8 lbs.) $450, Carbon fiber (4-5 lbs.) $550

(Original steel deck lid weighs 35 lbs.)

Stinger deck lid complete inner and outer structure

Supplied in two pieces, customer will need to bond together. Aluminum blocks are glassed into the inner structure to drill and tap for hinges and prop mounting.

Flap door hardware not supplied, I will supply detailed photos of installation and a list of parts. Fiberglass $650, Carbon fiber $750.

Flap doors are supplied for both deck lids.

Yenko Landau panels (four piece set as original) Fiberglass $450, Carbon fiber $550

Hood Fiberglass (10-12 lbs.) This would be the outer skin only, use hood pins to attach. $600, Carbon fiber (7-9 lbs.) $700

(Original steel hood weighs 65 lbs.)

Bumpers front or rear Fiberglass $250ea, Carbon fiber $325ea

All Stinger parts were made from mold pulled from original Yenko Stinger parts.

All prices are FOB, Springfield, Missouri.

Shipping: Everything can ship FedEx ground except the hood. The hood would have to be shipping LTL freight.

I need a 2-3 week lead time on parts. 50% deposit required on all orders payable through PayPal.

Thanks, Jeff Moore

The Automotive Archeologists, Ltd.

http://www.autoarch.com
417-343-4747

NOTE: Jeff added an additional note last night:

Hi Dave,

I haven't forgotten you, I have just been covered up. I need to look into the shipping cost. If you were to order multiples of three of a single item I would offer a 10% discount.

Thanks, Jeff
Last edited by Dave Baeckelandt on Sun May 31, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Baeckelandt

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Sun May 31, 2020 11:04 am

Also, for those not interested in the Stinger deck lid but are interested in other fiberglass and carbon fiber examples, these folks in Canada offer a solution:

Interest in purchasing 66 Corvair front trunk hood (bolt-on) fiberglass
showcars@idirect.com
Wed 5/27/2020 10:35 AM
Hi Dave,

The Corvair bolt-on fiberglass hood is $479 USD, or pin-on hood is $379.
Packaging and shipping to Illinois is $325. Call Rob 905-857-6345 to
order.

Thanks,
Liz

Office: 613-961-1739
Rob's Cell: 905-857-6345
Old Website: www.showcars-bodyparts.com (call for current pricing)
Picture site: www.showcarsrob.com
Email: showcars@idirect.com

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a G3214 fiberglass hood (bolt-on) for a 1966
Corvair as per your website:
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/corva ... 7EzEU59LkU
Dave Baeckelandt

Return to PARTS FOR SALE & PARTS THAT ARE WANTED