Lexan rear windows for LMs

Check This Category For Both Parts That Are For Sale And Parts That Are Wanted

Lexan rear windows for LMs

Postby pbeck » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Paul Siano has been in contact with a Lexan racing window supplier and currently there are 3 of us that will be ordering windows for a total of 4 assemblies. The company has indicated that if we can generate 2 more orders, they can give us a discount (6 is the break point). These are 3/16" thickness, clear with anti-scratch treatment on both sides. They are NOT vented but I've been doing a little searching and may have come up with an alternative to the formed vent.
If you have any interest please contact either Paul Siano or myself off list for more information.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Re: Lexan rear windows for LMs

Postby Santee Brown » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Paul,
Can you post a pic or drawing of your alternate venting you are suggesting to replace the formed vent? I have a sheet of 3/16" polycarbonate and intend to form my own rear window, but haven't really addressed the venting issue.

Thanks,
Toby
Toby Brown
Rust-Free Santee CA
Santee Brown

Postby pbeck » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Sorry Toby, I don't check the forum as often as I should.
Don't have the window yet, the first edition is in the process of being fitted .
My idea was to cut a horizontal vent near the top and then use 2 round Snap Vents on each side. I'll form the horizontal vent using some tapered wedges and a heat gun. I did some practice cuts and bends on an extra piece of 3/16" lexan. Cuts good with a jigsaw. The Snap Vents install in 3 1/4" holes cut with a good hole saw and cleaned up with a small sanding drum.
I'm going to try to come up with some wind testing information. Surely someone has done some testing. If I have to do it myself I'll use some yarn pieces and two leaf blowers. Once I get some airflow information then I'll try doing some mockups. Thankfully I'll have all winter.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby pbeck » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 pm

So, we ended up going with a different supplier. Racing Shields was more than willing to work with us and produced a window for a trial fit by Mel Francis. Mel reported that the window would probably work ok for a racer that would install the window with screws, but was not really satisfactory for a street car. One of the group had used a lexan window in the past from Five Star Fabricating in WI. After he made contact, they were willing to work with the group, still had the molds and would meet the same price, $352.00 plus shipping. I contacted their salesman, Cameron Frieden, on Dec.28th, and placed an order for 2 rear windows. Cameron said it would be about 4 weeks before they could start building the windows. I called on Thursday, Jan. 21st. to check on how things were progressing. Cameron said he had all the windows (9) on hand and was getting the packing and shipping information done and would be starting to ship them out either Friday or tomorrow (Monday). I'm not terribly far away, about 250 miles, and shipping on mine was only $20.00.
Really looking forward to getting them onhand and do some experimenting. I will try to document what I do but I'll warn you in advance I'm not real good at that.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby pbeck » Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 pm

Long time quiet, but that's about normal for me.
Received the windows from 5 Star and did a test fit. The window required a little edge trimming to fit my opening but I wasn't surprised. It was no big deal to take a little off one edge and one corner, about 1/4", I just used a sanding flap wheel on a die grinder at low speed. I did another test fit and laid out dimensions and spacing on blue painters tape on the window and the body. Then located and spaced out the locations for the quarter turn fasteners. Installed the spring plates and then marked the locations for the fasteners. I used 7'16" shaft fasteners, .600 grip, black with hex recessed flush top. Drilled and installed the fasteners with 1/8" aluminum pop rivets with small washer backers. One of the things I read about using pop rivets on lexan is that there is some issue with lexan cracking when using rivets but by drilling the rivet mounting holes oversized (3/16") the stress issue is considerably less. After test fitting to determine all the fasteners were positioned correctly and did fasten right the window came out again and removed all the fasteners and taped off the inside edge at 2 1/4" and sanded the Margard finish in prep for paint (black). I did purchase a specialty paint for lexan from RJ Race Cars in Galesburg, IL. Will proceed with paint ( minimum 3 light coats ) tomorrow and will let dry for a couple of days before reassembly. Still looking at a number of different weatherstripping materials and will make a decision in the next couple of days. Looks like it will make it to the Mini Convention in Springfield in less than 2 weeks. Lots of cleaning to do after sitting in the shop for nearly 2 years. 8-)

Oh, still have to locate and drill holes for the Snap-Vents. I've decided to not try to cut and bend a horizontal vent, I can't generate enough heat to make the bend.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Paul, Just finally getting around to my rear window. I re-read your post below about venting. I am thinking along the same lines. I was wondering if you already did the venting and if so can share any pics/suggestions on the process? Thanks very much, Dave
Dave Baeckelandt

Postby pbeck » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 pm

Dave,
Sorry about the delay. As usual, I don't check the forum nearly as ofter as I should.
I sourced the Snap Vents from American Spruce, a supplier of aircraft related products and tools. They are pretty reasonable and close (Chicago area) for both of us. The vents require a 3 1/4" hole to mount. I used a new 3" drill cutter, relatively low speed. Once the original hole is cut, I then enlarged it to spec with a combination of a carbide cutter in a die grinder and then a a flap sanding attachment in a drill. There is a little wiggle room but not much. Actually it went very well, just had to keep reminding myself to take my time. It would probably help to scribe the correct dimension on the lexan prior to starting. I'll try to get a couple of pictures taken tomorrow and will email them.(I don't have much luck attaching pictures here). I ended up putting two vents on each side and don't know how much they help but sure looks cool !! 8-)
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am

Paul, thank you! This is incredibly helpful!
Dave Baeckelandt

Return to PARTS FOR SALE & PARTS THAT ARE WANTED