Carb choices

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

Carb choices

Postby Bob Bauer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Anybody have an opinion on which Carb I should use.

I will be using an 70's generation old school aluminum intake on a 350 truck motor
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri
Show Me Corvair Club
Bob Bauer

Re: Carb choices

Postby WarWagon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Will your intake have the square or spread bores? Do you have a particular secondary style you want to use(Vac/Mech)?
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'84 Isuzu Impulse Buick 3.8
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 blowthru turbo
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
'19 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT
WarWagon

Postby Bob Bauer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 pm

OH Gosh, I have been away far to long

At this point, I have no idea. A friend of mine has a shed full of old school manifolds etc. and he said he would sell me an intake, valve covers etc but we have not gotten together yet.

He is out of town racing.
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri
Show Me Corvair Club
Bob Bauer

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:18 pm

I had trouble with carb getting hot and fuel percolation ,, suggest using insulator under whatever carb you use
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby pbeck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Bob,
I have used both Holley & Quick Fuel 4 bbls., both mechanical secondaries. Once they were dialed in, I didn't have any issues with either but did end up using the QF. I also have had numerous probelms with vapor lock (fuel starvation). I have been using an electric pimp from the start. The biggest issue for me was isolating the fuel pump from the exhaust temps. I tried a plate heat diffuser under the carb but didn't seem to help. The problem typically happened after stopping for fuel and the restarting. I eventually solved the problem by installing a Stealth pump in my fuel cell. It's set up to recirculate the fuel and will work with either carb or fuel injection, so if I decide to change I'll be covered.
It's difficult to keep the fuel lines away from heat sources with the Crown headers or even to insulate them (I tried that as well).
Good luck with your build and welcome to the Registry.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Richard Miller » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I agree with Paul Beck ,,my problem was noticeable when dropping off the freeway and the car wouldn't idle at bottom of the ramp . my car is typical of many members cars with front radiator hot air exiting out of the bottom and blowing on the stock fuel tank ,then fuel line running with radiator lines thru tunnel , to a mechanical pump right under the header pipe , and up to the carb sitting on the hot manifold and drawing hot air from the enclosed engine compartment ,, whew ,,, insulator under carb and a cold air box drawing from interior cured my drivability issues but I am not done, while investigating the problem I installed a drag race cool can in rear and ran fuel line back thru it just before going to carb,,,, packed with ice a 5 mile 15 minute drive melted ice and made warm water. lot of heat getting into the fuel .
I am changing my radiator to exit thru hood , for several reasons (reduce front end lift , add A/C cond , replace heavy brass unit with aluminum , AND not blow hot air on fuel tank) I will insulate radiator lines and fuel line , electric pump up front , and have been considering a return type system for fuel pressure control , a 6 valve mechanical pump while cruising at light load freeway speed down hill pushes fuel pressure up to 12 in spite of the regulator .. so anything you can do to keep fuel system cool will help .. I am using edelbrock currently . used holley and a thermoquad (which got good MPG -- 19 mpg )
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Roger Boisjolie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:54 am

I like the Holley carbs myself. If you running a mild 350 truck motor I'd stick a 670 street avenger on it. Vacum secondaries. Go with a dual plane square bore intake manifold.
Roger Boisjolie
Houston, Tx
'65 Crown V8 Corsa
Roger Boisjolie

Return to ENGINES