HELP - oil leaking

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

HELP - oil leaking

Postby ctcarguy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi All:
Almost ready to drive my Crown after over 1.5 years of updates. Everything seems in order except I am leaking oil from the filter adapter. This was the one already installed. I have a NAPA 1068 filter. I took the adapter off and the gasket was bad. Since I am under a crazy time crunch (has to be for alignment Thursday for a show on Saturday) I bought a new adapter from NAPA. It is different from what I have but the gasket was the same so I put the original back in and its still leaking bad. I tried putting the gasket in first and then putting it in the plate. The later leaked more. The old adapter uses a threaded tube that screws into the bypass (at least I think that's what it is but there is no valve?) and then a nut holds the adapter plate in. The filter screws onto the remaining part of the threaded pipe. The threads are not great but I cannot find a pipe with that size. The new adapter has a thick plate and I guess the 2 bolts hold it and the valve together. Then there is a threaded pipe in the plate for the filter. I do not see anyway the new unit would fit anyway. I have tomorrow to solve this or have to cancel getting this car to any of the remaining shows this season. HELP!

Larry in CT
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Return to ENGINES