Throttle

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

Throttle

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Wed May 03, 2017 9:05 am

I am lookong for examples of throttle connections from the corvair pedal to the mid mounted v8 carburetor. I'm trying to decide on a cable or build some kind of mechanism.
Dennis Gauerke

Re: Throttle

Postby Richard Miller » Wed May 03, 2017 12:07 pm

stock throttle pedal has arm that extends down into tunnel and PUSHES on a rod ,, so Crown standard was a PUSH/PULL cable ,, sometimes called a Morse cable ,, my first V8 was a Crown and used this and it works well ,, probably easiest way to go ,,, downside is that to effectively push it must be fairly thick and stiff thus requiring large radius bends ,, my current car uses a PULL cable ,, small and very flexible ,, it has been on my car since it was first built , about 25 years ,, and still works fine ,, it has served thru different engine configurations just by changing mounting points ,, downside is to get PULL from stock pedal I flipped the rod coming off of pedal so it points up into interior and then had to add cover to keep it from getting tangled in feet or such ,, it was built by CONTROL CABLES in Santa Fe Springs
http://www.controlcables.com/ to my specs as far as length of cable , length of sheath , mounting points on sheath and type of ends on cable ,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Goodman Alabama » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

I have not gotten that far yet but was thinking of the stock rod attached to a bell crank, then to a cable. Thoughts?
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby pbeck » Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm

I used the stock pedal and lever with a Morse cable through the tunnel. It follows the right crown frame rail back then loops over the transmission/differential and then attaches to the carb as a push cable. It's held in place with small adel clamps and then a good cable mount on the intake. This does require a longer cable but the bends are not drastic and there's no drag in the operation.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby boudin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

I am having the same problem,is it easier to attach cable to gas pedal or come off the pivot toward rear. 4.3 tbi stock powerglide
Chris Davis
Olive Branch, Mississippi
4.3 liter V6 - '66 Monza
boudin

Return to ENGINES