Replacement header issue

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

Replacement header issue

Postby Bob Bauer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Gentlemen:

I am ready to mount my exhaust and have found that the original headers have pin holes that no one around here wants to repair.

I have been told that my car is an original Crown so I want to put it back the way it came [so to speak]

If I can't get my original ones repaired, what type/style do I buy. The old ones were horizontal style, and I am afraid that any down turned headers will not clear the sub frame.
Although, down turned style would really help with aligning my exhaust out the back.

And I do not have the resources to make my own,

Any ideas??

Bob
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri
Show Me Corvair Club
Bob Bauer

Re: Replacement header issue

Postby Richard Miller » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 pm

I built the headers on my car ,, not a crown ,,it is not especially difficult but it is time consuming ,, but if I needed another set (of custom ) I would pay a fabricator to do them .. first choice would be to search various header manufacturers to see if they catalog anything that looks useful as is,, would not be original looking tho ,, hardest part of building my own was figuring out routing of the tubes ,, if you have original set then you can just have them duplicated and that is easier ,, I googled for "custom exhaust header fabrication in Missouri" and several shops came up ,, here is one in St. Louis ,,
http://www.classiccarstudio.com/speedsh ... s-exhaust/
custom headers are expensive ,, professional time is not cheap ,, so it comes down to how original you want the car to look ,, cast iron exhaust manifolds are inexpensive and quieter and seal well ,,, try searching for a street rod shop near you and they will have a fabricator ,, a regular muffler shop wont want to mess with
it ,, good luck and let us know what you come up with
a little searching and I found where Mike Levine put out a feeler a few years ago to see if there was interest in getting Crown headers reproduced ,, he figured he needed interest in 10 sets to go forward ,, don't know if he got it ,, anyone who needs a set should get in touch with Mike to let him know if there is a demand
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby pbeck » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Bob,
When I switched to the C5 differential and the corresponding linkage and support rods I modified my Crown headers by cutting and trimming the collector area to allow the exhaust to clear everything. When I made the move to the LS power I bought a set of stainless turbo headers that pointed forward. I switched sides and they now mount higher and point to the rear. It allowed my exhaust to be routed above my control rods. I still have the Crown headers but haven't looked at them for a couple of years. I did have them Jet Hot coated when I was first building the car (they had been in use for quite a while at that point), and then wrapped them with DEI exhaust wrap the last year I used them.
If you're interested I can get them down when I return from the Convention and check the condition. I dont think there were any leaks at least IIRC.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Bob Bauer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:53 am

thanks Paul
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri