Exhaust system

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

Exhaust system

Postby sherwood park rexin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Dropped my exhaust to clean up as it's looking kinda rusty, and noticed that the Flowmasters are reversed ie: headers to outlet, tailpipe to inlet. Car's been together for quite a few years, runs well. Also header collector is 2.5" and mufflers are 2.5" but running a 2" pipe between the header and muffler. I feel this is probaly restrictive but with a stock 327 would I notice any gains by redoing the system? Would this affect fuel mileage? Other then being reversed exhaust is in good condition.

Gord
sherwood park rexin

Re: Exhaust system

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 am

interesting topic ,,a search shows for flowmasters installed backwards lots of opinions on lots of forums ,, must happen often ,,you could test it out ,, put pressure gauge on your system , do dyno and economy test, and lets us all know what you find ,,,but you say your "stock 327 " "runs well" ,, I think I would clean up the system and reinstall it ,,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Re: Exhaust system

Postby sherwood park rexin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Yeah the internet was not much help, thats why I posted. I'm sure we have some very knowledgeable gearheads on this site, was hoping for some insight. In the meantime I've painted the mufflers with a flat alumium header paint and the pipes black. Still would like to know if I'm losing economy and/or hp. Just don't want to waste money on a new system if there is no noticable gains.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Return to ENGINES