Flowmaster mufflers

Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources

Flowmaster mufflers

Postby Dave Decker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 am

Hi all. Looking for some input on a muffler for my V8 car. Last time I drove it in the 80s, it had Crown headers and 'turbo' mufflers on it. They were actually based on the Corvair turbo muffler. Loved the sound. It had a mild 350 in it. New incarnation has a stroker 385 not so mild. Crown headers and thinking of some flowmasters. Says 'aggresive' sound. Anybody running these? TIA Cheers, Dave
Dave Decker
'65 Crown Corsa
Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Dave Decker

Re: Flowmaster mufflers

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:20 pm

i'll throw my 2 cents in...I have some no name turbo mufflers on my Corv-8 .. good sound , not too loud . Summit has a good price on their house brand version. Chuck Rust has 2 chamber flowmasters on his car ,, you can hear him coming .. very popular muffler with a pretty distinctive "rattle" sound to it I hear it on a lot of cars ,, again Summit has a version for a good price .. but when I was looking for a muffler for my pro-touring Malibu I googled "high performance quiet muffler " ,, found that a lot of people don't like "blowmasters" and recommended Dynomax Super Turbo , so I bought the longest body I could fit under my car ,2 1/2 inlet . I think it was a 23 inch ,,it is pretty quiet , just a little rumble ,, and if the advertising on the box can be believed ,, flows more CFM than the flowmaster in same size ,,,if I were to replace my mufflers on my Corv-8 I would buy Dynomax Super Turbo with 3 inch inlet and longest body I could fit ,, good flow and quiet being my goal ,, but by all means if you like the flowmaster sound go for for it
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dave Decker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks Richard. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Don't like the 'rattle' I'll check out the Dynaflows! Cheers, Dave
Dave Decker
'65 Crown Corsa
Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Dave Decker

Postby Dave Decker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 pm

Dynomax!
Dave Decker
'65 Crown Corsa
Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Dave Decker

Postby pbeck » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:54 pm

I ran Flowmasters on my 358 sbc and I'll agree they had a distinctive sound. When I switched to the LS I also changed the mufflers, used Magnaflows, 2 1/2'" in and out, 14" length.
I'm fairly pleased with the sound, not terribly aggressive but a good idle sound.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to ENGINES