Toronado Conversions

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Toronado / Cadillac Conversions

Toronado Conversions

Postby Don Young » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm building a Mid-Engineering Toronado type conversion with a SB 350 Olds engine hooked up to a TH325 4L trans. I'm at the point in the build involving the front & rear suspensions. As near as I can guess the engine weighs about 560# and the trans weighs about 218#. I've talked to a couple of owners with the Olds 455 but they purchased them already built & don't know what is in the suspensions. Does anyone have specific info regarding what are the best coil springs and shocks to use? Any info would be appreciated.
Don Young

Re: Toronado Conversions

Postby Doug Andress » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi Don , you sent some info on your build a while back.As I am using the same 325 4L on my car , with few variations in the rear suspension, I am using a pair of QA1 coilovers rated at 200 # . With that I am using a mod on the Toro mount with some add on pieces to anchor the coils and on the lower arms I add mounting brackets to attach the bottom of the coils. With all the knowledge about theses trans axles they need fixed supports to prevent side loads on the diff. So that said I built off the Toro lower 2" tubing and made additional 2" tubing extensions for the upper locations to attach a 4 link suspension . This all seems kind of structural and it is, calculations for Camber are made easier with this 4 link system, many others have done the 4 link system on this forum. My project is not on the road yet, but as yours, a work in progress. The current focus is on running my cooling lines to the front radiator. I would be happy to share my ideas with you. Let me know.
Doug Andress.
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby Louisville Lanning » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:12 am

Finding information on what was used for suspension components years ago when Toro conversions were first built in quantity is a difficult task.

I will assemble a list of members with Toro/Caddy conversions from our membership roster and ask for their input in group email. Then I will ask them to respond to this 'Toronado Conversions' topic here on the Forum to keep the replies in one location where everyone can view them. This may take a day or two.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Don Young » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for your efforts, John. Spring & shock info for Torvairs IS difficult to find.

Don Young
Don Young

Postby Doug Andress » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:34 am

Don , the original Mid- Engineering plans that I have don't spell out springs or shocks , but pictorially they show what appears to be stock shocks with maybe the same for the springs with air bags inside them to add support ! That should work for you as your 325-4l is lighter than the old 425 transaxle . I hope that helps.
Doug.
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Hey Don
I have just gotten my toro based mid engine on the road. I used a TH425 out of a 1973 El Dorado. I used a B.O.P. adaptor plate to attach it to a 355 small block chevy. As for the suspension, I boxed the original trailing arms. We used a solid aluminum bushing at the trailing arm attachment which only allows straight up and down movement. I used QA-1 Coil overs with 300 lb springs. We used a 45 % bar from the cross member to the trailing arm.........mainly for toe in / out. We did build a control mount and control rods to maintain the chamber. The entire build including mistakes is on Corvair Forum

http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... =33&t=3337
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Toronado Conversions

Postby Louisville Lanning » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:19 am

Rick Andersen set up this new heading for our Toro/Caddy Conversion members. As you build or update your conversions, I hope that you will post information about your conversions here for other Toro/Caddy members to view. Please consider viewing this heading often to help other members answer questions about their builds.

Information is not readily available like it was years ago when businesses were still making conversion components. We must rely on our own experiences now when it comes time to build or do repairs.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Doug Andress » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:20 pm

TORO MOUNTS.tiff

HEY GUYS , NOT SURE IF THIS HELPS ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS ON MID ENGINEERING MOUNTS , BUT HERE IS SOME PICS ,HAD TROUBLE WITH PDF, AND SMALL SIZE REQUIREMENTS ,BUT THERE IT IS !
I MAY HAVE MORE PICS SOMEWHERE, AND SOME LIMITED INSTRUCTIONS .IF ANYONE WANTS MORE DETAILS AND IMPORTANTLY LARGER FORMAT, LET ME KNOW .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Ok - do we have any weights for these? Front axle weight, rear axle weight?
What kind of cornering performance has been achieved with these, and what suspension setup was used?
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:19 pm

A note on the trailing arm bushings - the arm needs to be able to rotate slightly, as the locating arms won't let the trailing arm move up and down in a perfect straight line.

It seems there are some interesting tradeoffs in geometry - for cornering, you want the wheels to tilt a bit, to counter body lean. But then, when the body squats or rises, the tire will tilt and give you a funny contact patch on accel and braking. Hmmm...
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Return to TORO / CADDY CONVERSIONS