Sound

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Sound

Postby ctcarguy » Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 pm

I can not stop tinkering with the car even if it is up for sale. I am finally addressing the drone by installing J pipe resonators next week. My headers are wrapped past the rear firewall. My enclosure is covered with the butyl rubber/aluminum insulation and its still very noisy. The only areas not covered are the rear firewall and floor. Would adding insulation help there? How about the fiberglass type used in new cars for the engine cover panel? I'm not looking for quiet quiet but at a point my passenger can hear me.
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Sound

Postby WarWagon » Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Expanding spray foam on all original Crown seat/top cover. My top cover also has a 2" thick aluminum faced foam insulation board on the underside of engine cover. Engine has exposed mild steel Crown headers, solid lifter camshaft and the interior noise is pleasant and not loud.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'84 Isuzu Impulse Buick 3.8
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 blowthru turbo
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
'19 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT
WarWagon

Re: Sound

Postby sherwood park rexin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I used 3/16th aluminum, covered one side with Hushmat sound and heat deadening, then glued a 1/2" thick aluminum foiled heat shield over that. Even with windows up it is fairly quiet and comfortable. After a long run the outside of the firewall will be quite warm to the touch but not uncomfortable to hold your hand on. I used Duez fasteners for the firewall and engine cover. When I figure out how to resize the pics, Ill post them here.
sherwood park rexin

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS