Want more leg room

Want more leg room

Postby Bossier City Pinard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi all, I been absent for a while but now have disassembled my Crown. I want to center and move the drive train back to gain some more leg room. This may be a repeat question but how much can it be moved back using CV axles along with the C5 diff? Thanks
Louis Pinard
Bossier City Pinard

Re: Want more leg room

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:05 pm

I would suggest contacting Archibald Evans or Chuck Rust to ask them. Neither of them spend much time on the computer, so they will probably never see you posting on the forum.

Rick Andersen
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Randolph Galek » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I am also very interested in converting to a PG/centered C5 setup for my LS/Crown setup.

If just additional legroom would help for now you may want to consider using Porsche 914 seats with custom mounts, a NRG quick tilt steering wheel hub adapter, and a Momo flat bottom steering wheel. The 914 seats are comfortable and extremely light. The Momo wheel adds to the “feel” of driving by it’s quality and the NRG quick tilt really opens up the interior for entry and exit.

Chet

PS - I’ve seen pics of your car and really like what you’ve done. Please let me know your thoughts on the PG setup.
Thanks!
Chet Galek
Randolph, New Jersey
Randolph Galek

Postby Bossier City Pinard » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 pm

I am using Fiero seats and we thinned the backs and now have a smaller steering wheel. The comfort is barely OK for me but difficult for others when they autocross it. I have broken several things, two yokes and one inner u-joint all when shifting to second. Parts did not like the load with the manual shift PG and my 383. That is why I want to go with the C5 diff, to be able to shift up or down ANY time I want and may as well gain some more leg room at same time. I just had 10 of my design PG to C5 adapters made and will be available very soon.
Louis Pinard
Bossier City Pinard

Postby Santee Brown » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:13 am

I know this isn't a new thread, but I hope my input will help someone else who is looking for legroom.

This seemed so obvious to me, I don't know why I haven't heard of anyone doing it before. I'm 5'11" so the original Crown setup just wouldn't work for me.
I got 3 more inches legroom in my Crown conversion by lopping off 3 inches of the sub-frame where it attaches to the front cross member. I moved the cross member back and re-welded it, and made tabs for the ends, welded on and bolted down to the same seat belt holes. I also extended and reinforced the two tabs in the middle area. There is about an inch space between the cross member and the crank pulley now. If I have to change the harmonic balancer, I may have to lift the front of the engine so it will clear the cross member, but otherwise I have no issues. With some cheap racing seats and a flat GT steering wheel, the fit is perfect!

I don't have a firewall built yet and there isn't a lot of room, so it will be against the back of the seats, with a hump in the middle for the water pump pulley. I mounted my alternator low behind the driver's seat. I will post pics when it's done.

Toby
Toby Brown
Rust-Free Santee CA
Santee Brown

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS