Drive Shafts

Drive Shafts

Postby Vegasvair » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Hello,
Can you tell me how you made your drive shafts? I have a Porsche 915 trans and was thinking CV to trans and U joint to wheel. Can any good drive shaft shop make the drive shaft to a custom length or do I need to send them off? The engine is a 98 LS1 in the rear.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill Warren
Decatur, Alabama
'67 LS1 Rear Engine Vair
Vegasvair

Re: Drive Shafts

Postby Richard Miller » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:12 am

standard wisdom is that you don't mix joint types ,,CV as the name says is constant velocity across the joint when operating at an angle ,,,cross type u-joint causes a cyclic variation in output speed ,,normally reversed at second u-joint ,that is to say ,,as the first ujoint turns the shaft that it is driving speeds up and slows down during rotation ,,the second joint acting properly phased and a same but opposite angle reverses this speed variation so end result is smooth ,,, so much for the common wisdom ,,several members are using toronado setups with CV inboard and cross u joint at wheel and apparently no problems ,,if there was it would show as vibration ,,,how are you going to position the trailing arm ? the stock half shaft controls camber with its fixed length ,,a CV has plunge in it to allow for length change so you will need an upper location for the arm ,,note that I am assuming you are using stock trailing arms
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Vegasvair » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Thank your for the reply Richard. My engine cradle is similar to the Jeff Moore car with a Corvair training arm. I see that he has a CV joint U-joint combination. My understanding is that the drive shaft floats in this configuration and avoids the vibration you speak of. From my measurements it looks like the driveshaft needs to move in and out as the trailing arm moves up and down. I am hoping the right CV joint will allow this. I measure plus/minus !/2 inch. I currently have a VW Vanagon CV joint shaft that bolts right up to the 915 trans. Is mating the Corvair driveshaft and the Vanagon CV shaft something that a driveshaft shop can do or do I need send off to a specialty shop?
I see that you have a hydraulic clutch and had to stiffen the firewall and push rod. I had to do the same thing and still have a very stiff pedal. Are you happy with your master and slave combination? I assume the only way to get a softer pedal is to get a weaker pressure plate. I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Bill Warren
Decatur, Alabama
'67 LS1 Rear Engine Vair
Vegasvair

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am

Bill , check out member page for JIM ACKER on the registry ,, he used a 930 to corvair trailing arm ,, said that his local driveline shop was able to find a Nissan part that bolted to the trans but fit spicer type u-joint ..nice member page with a lot of pictures and good info https://www.jimsv8vair.net/rear-suspension.html it appears in picture that shaft has a label for drivelines nw https://www.drivelinesnw.com/
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Vegasvair » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks Richard,I requested a quote from here https://driveshaftshop.com/custom-driveshafts/ last week and have not had a response. I'll give them a few more days and start looking elsewhere or give them a call. I saw where someone here on the Registry used them and got good service.
Bill Warren
Decatur, Alabama
'67 LS1 Rear Engine Vair
Vegasvair

Return to TRANSMISSIONS, SHIFTERS, CLUTCHES AND DIFFERENTIALS